Monday, February 27, 2017

Oscars 2017... And the Winner is La La...Woops... Moonlight!

So I set my DVR to record the Oscars from the beginning to 30 minutes after its scheduled end time. When I realized they hadn't even given out Best Actor and my recording was about to run out, I switched to live TV to catch Best Picture before I missed it. All I saw were people from La La Land on the stage. So I let out a sigh and just turned back to my recording. So imagine my surprise when I later found out about this:



And with that, let's get right into it with the list of Black actors, Black actresses, and films showcasing their talent, recognized as nominees and winners at the 89th Academy Awards...

Actor in a Supporting Role
Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) - winner

Actress in a Supporting Role
Viola Davis (Fences) - winner
Naomie Harris (Moonlight)
Octavia Spencer (Hidden Figures)

Film Editing

Original Score

Best Adopted Screenplay
Moonlight - winner

Directing
Barry Jenkins (Moonlight)

Best Actor
Denzel Washington (Fences)

Best Actress
Ruth Negga (Loving)

Best Picture
La La Land  - winner
Moonlight - winner

Other highlights from the evening included Katherine Johnson joining Taraji P. Henson, Janelle Monae, and Octavia Spencer on the stage, and Denzel officiating a wedding:


And in honor of Black History Month, let us also acknowledge how historical this night was. Mahershala Ali became the first muslim actor to win. Viola Davis is now the first Black woman, and 23rd person, to achieve the triple crown in acting (Emmy, Tony, and Oscar). Also, though there's still work to be done, the Academy awarded a record number of awards to Black actors, actresses, and filmmakers.