Thursday, March 10, 2016

The Perfect Match Review


While I was looking forward to seeing it, I did not have super high expectations for The Perfect Match. But it well surpassed my expectations! About a third into the film I was convinced it was The Best Man, Brown SugarThe Brothers, and Two Can Play that Game for my generation, the millennials. And if that was all it was I would have gone home happy and content. But to my surprise, and pleasure, The Perfect Match was its own story, not a remake of what's already been done. And I absolutely loved it. 

The story tells the story of four childhood friends and their relationships; Charlie (Terrence Jenkins), Ginger (Lauren London), Victor (Robert Christopher Riley), and Rick (Donald Faison). Ginger and Victor have been inseparable since they all became friends 20 years ago and are planning their wedding. Rick is married to Pressie (Dascha Polanco, OITNB), and they are trying to get pregnant. And then there's Charlie, our main character, who does not do relationships or love...though that may change when he meets Eva (Cassie). I loved the plot so much I won't spoil it for you, but I will share I always appreciate endings that are more realistic instead of the typical Hollywood happily ever after. Just go see it for yourself! You won't regret it!

The chemistry between the actors was great, and this includes the sibling interaction between Charlie and Sherry (Paula Patton). The passion between Charlie and Eva oozed through the screen. Terrence J did an excellent job of carrying the star role in the film. And all of the actors did a wonderful job, including French Montana, Kali Hawk, Brandy, Draya, Jessica White, and Robin Givens. Though Jessica White and Robin Givens were a bit over the top at times, it was in the name of comedy. And for the most part, none of the comedic moments fell flat. However, early scenes in the office were a bit corny, and the music played during Cassie's first two scenes was also a bit corny (though I suppose it was an attempt to bring to mind a bull and a picador...at least that's what came to my mind as I cringed a little at how the cornball factor slightly took away from what was otherwise a movie that was going great). I also really liked the camera choices made after a major plot twist in the film. 

Overall, I would say this is a must see for everyone! Great story line, chemistry, and acting. Let me not forget to shout out Queen Latifah, one of the film's executive producers. I would love to have more films like this on the big screen. So let's do our part and go out and support it.