Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Review


My decision to spend the end of my birthday in a theater watching Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was a great one! Let's be honest, I was mostly looking forward to seeing Baby Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel) on the big screen, and the film did not disappoint. He was just as adorable as expected from the beginning to the closing credits!

As seen in the trailer, we meet Peter Quill's (Chris Pratt) father, Ego (Kurt Russell). While I expected this would reveal more of Peter Quill's backstory, I did not expect the twists that came with it. It made for a good story, great action, and nice heroic scenes. Peter Quill and Ego are not the only family members sharing their backstory on the screen. We get a deeper understanding of the genesis of Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Nebula's (Karen Killan) sisterly rivalry. Though we do not get as much in depth exploration of the other characters' backstory, we do get some deeper levels of character development through their interactions with others; Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper) and Yondu (Michael Rooker), Drax (Dave Bautista) with Mantis (Pom Klementieff). 

Sci-fi and super hero films are not my first choice, but Guardians of the Galaxy is different. It takes itself less seriously and is easy to enjoy even if you aren't big on comics. It is entertaining from start to finish, never slowing down or losing my interest. The setting they were able to create transported me to another galaxy. The action was thrilling, and there were major laughs throughout the film!

For what it is, I have no complaints. I look forward to future volumes, and recommend you check it out. And if you do, know there are about four additional scenes during the closing credits. You don't want to leave until Stan Lee's scene is showin in the closing credits! #TeenageGroot #Vol3IsComing

8.5/10