Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Book of Negroes

The Book of Negroes...I won't make this a recap, because it is such a powerful story I think everyone should watch it for themselves. It does a phenomenal job of taking viewers along the Middle Passage, exploring lesser known aspects of the African experience. It goes beyond the Underground Railroad. It teaches us about finding liberty by fighting on behalf of the British during the Revolutionary War (while also revealing whose freedom was being fought for in the Revolutionary war, or more importantly, whose freedom was NOT being fought for). It touches on the experiences of being within communities that included freedmen, runaways, and even indentured servants. Despite being based on  a fiction novel, it provides several important history lessons that our children are not receiving in the classroom!

And within that, we meet strong, inspiring characters. Aminata Diallo (Aunjanue Ellis). AMINATA DIALLO!! She is one of the most powerful fictional characters I've met in a movie. Her perseverance and strength. Matched by her undying love for the redeemed Chekura (Lyriq Bent). One might find it hard to fall in love with a young man that stole other Africans for the slave trade, but you will with Chekura. And the way they continued to search for each other, never giving up. I let out a scream of excitement along with Aminata when he came off that ship in Nova Scotia!

I am proud of BET for bringing this to our television sets! I am happy that Conquering Lion Pictures opted for a 265 minute mini-series, in lieu of a 120 minute film that could not have possibly done it justice (now I will admit I have not read the book, "Someone Knows My Name: A Novel", by Lawrence Hill...so I can't speak to whether it did the book justice. However, there's no way a 2 hour film could have been as powerful as this 265 minute miniseries).

I highly recommend grabbing your family and watching it. I did it all in one sitting, but I'm sure it'll be just as great in parts.