Wednesday, September 7, 2016

My Top 5 Favorite Things about Netflix's Stranger Things and The Get Down


If you haven't watched Netflix's Stranger Things and The Get Down, please get it together! I spent my Labor Day weekend watching both series, and it was time well spent. It's also nearly half the episodes of other Netflix shows.  Stranger Things has 8 episodes and The Get Down has 6 episodes (though the first one is 90 minutes). They were both so good I binge watched each in one sitting!! 2017 can't come soon enough!!

Here's a quick run down of 5 of my favorite things from both shows!

Stranger Things
1. Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin) was both loyal and the voice of reason, much like myself. McLaughlin did an awesome job, as did the other young men on the show.
2. The opening credits made me reminisce about watching Halloween marathons on TNT's Monstervision!
3. The graphics had that 80's vibe, like the monster from The Gate (one of the first horror movies I recall seeing).
4. It also gave that John Hughes vibe with the teenagers.
5. It was definitely giving us Poltergeist (one of my first favorite horror movies). #CarolAnn

The Get Down
1. Shameik Moore (Dope) as Shaolin Fantastic, Justice Smith (Paper Towns) as Ezekiel , Skylan Brooks (Mister & Peete) as Ra-Ra. And there was something about Cadillac (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) that was just sooo 1970's! The dancing? The clothes? He just really embodied the decade to me (or how I would imagine an embodiment of the 70's would be #80sBaby). It was probably the dancing. He killed the dancing!!
2. The history lessons, both of hip hop and politics (I'm not familiar with the history of the Bronx, but the general story seems like a story that could take place in various urban areas at the time).
3. The mythological aspect of characters like Shao and Grandmaster Flash, who were also humanized, making the film border into fantasy every now and then.
4. The use of actual footage from 1977, coupled with visuals made to look like it was recorded in 1977, visuals that made you feel like you were watching a musical (which at times it was), visuals that almost looked like cgi, and visuals like any other Netflix show. I actually enjoyed how these types of visuals would be interlaced with each other, at times even all in one scene.
5. The music of course!

What were your favorite moments from the series? And what are you looking forward to seeing in season 2 next year?