Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Underground... Let's Make a Season 3 Happen!



I dedicated most of my Memorial Day to binge watching season 2 of Underground on Hulu (having reduced my cable to basic, I was thrilled when season 2 hit Hulu)! And then a day later, today, I learned that it's been cancelled by WGN! How can this be?! This is one of the best shows on TV! Season 2 was even better than the last. It shared our history in a way that was inspiring, enlightening, and still relevant to issues of today.

To be honest, some of us saw this coming. Sinclair Broadcast Group has acquired WGN for $3.9 billion, and the station had already cancelled Outsiders, its top-rated drama. So it became clear the station will no longer focus on scripted shows.

However, I know I can't be the only one who wants to see John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry, and more of Harriet Tubman (Aisha Hinds) and Georgia (Jasika Nicole). I want to see Ernestine (Amirah Vann) reunite with her family. I need to know if Cato (Alano Miller) is really going to take over Patty Cannon's (Sadie Stratton) gang. And I have to see how Noah (Aldis Hodge) finds Rosalee (Jurnee Smollett-Bell), or more likely how she saves herself! All that to say, I'm invested in this show, aren't you?

We've seen shows be revived by other stations, or even Hulu and Netflix. And if any show is deserving, it is certainly Underground! I am disappointed to have heard that both OWN and BET may have already passed on the opportunity due to the $5 million an episode cost. But perhaps if enough of us speak up someone will answer the call!!